Take On More Responsibility in a low risk environment with this week’s Leadership Development Assignment!
Offer to take on one of your bosses responsibilities for an extended period or to cover for them during a vacation or particularly busy time.
This is a great opportunity to:
– Learn and practice new skills
– Acquire a better understanding of what’s involved at the next level
– Demonstrate capability and a willingness to learn
When approaching your boss with this request:
1. Be Prepared
- Be ready to suggest options for the responsibility you wish to take on.
- Explain the reason for your request, what specific skills you are looking to develop, and how the assignment will help.
2. Be Patient
- Understand that the scope of the assignment may be limited until you prove yourself
- Delegating responsibilities may be uncomfortable for your boss. It may take them time to develop this skill regardless of your capabilities.
3. Be Responsible
- Regardless of how insignificant the assignment may seem, treat it as the most important job you have. Both you and your boss are on the hook if something goes wrong.
- Ensure that you always keep your boss apprised of the status of the assignment. This will help to build trust and develop a comfort level with your boss.
- Be sure not to over-communicate, a simple “project done” email will likely do the trick.
Here is a quick video from ClipBlox where Shawn asks his boss for more responsibility
Check back every Friday for a new Leadership Development Assignment.
Check out SigmaLeader.com for a free trial of the Leadership Skills Profile and Development Guide.