For those of you that haven’t heard of Canadian cyclist and speed skater Clara Hughes, let’s take a quick look at some of her accomplishments.
- The only athlete in the world ever to win multiple medals in both the winter and summer Olympics
- 6 Olympic Medals won
- Competed in 2 Summer Olympics in cycling
- Competed in 3 Winter Olympics in speed skating
- Canada’s Flag Bearer for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics
- Order of Canada Recipient
- Canada’s Sports Hall of Fame Inductee
- Involved with Right to Play, Take a Hike, and many other charities
If I stopped right here, it would be more than enough for Clara to be considered a Leader. However, it is Clara’s involvement in mental health awareness that has taken her leadership to a whole new level.
Clara – who has to admitted to struggling with depression – has become the face of Bell’s Let’s Talk initiative that encourages all Canadian’s to “talk about mental health, and reduce the stigmas attached to it.”
One of the most difficult things to do as a leader is to put ourselves in vulnerable situations. Clara is taking this to a whole other level through telling her personal story as she completes Clara’s Big Ride. Sharing her story will have an impact on the lives of those struggling with mental health that simply can’t be measured by medals or podiums.
So, that is why Clara was an easy pick for today’s What Leadership Is.